Welcome Choir Students and Families!
This page is to provide some information to all of you as well as to collect some needed information from you.
Please read the entire document.
1. Health Release Form for choir. <here>
This was handed out in class today. It is a completion grade since we need one on file for every child.
Please fill it out as completely as possible.
2. Please read the choir handbook. <here>
After reading the choir handbook, please print out the choir contract, sign it and send it with your student. This is the second completion grade for the students. If printing at your house is not possible at this time, we will have hard copies available in the classroom and at Everything Night.
3. Anderson Spirit Fest – Saturday, September 7 - 5-8pm
Choir sponsors “Just Dance” booth and “Duck Pond” booth.
4. EVERYTHING Night – Monday, September 9 – MANDATORY - come and go between 5-8:30pm in the choir room.
Bring your checkbook.
This is the third year of this event and is for ALL choir students and their parents. Come take care of ‘everything’ related to choir in one night! Update you contact info., buy spirit items (yard signs, tote bags, uniform bags, etc.), sign up for voice lessons if interested, get fitted for uniforms, pay fees, meet the teachers and booster officers, sample our fund raiser and more.
We want 100% of parents and students at this event!
5. Fall Choir Retreat – September 20-21 – 6pm Friday evening until 10am Saturday morning
This is our overnight time of fun, games, and singing for all current choir members.
It happens here at Anderson In the cafeteria, gyms, and choir room.
Parent chaperones and both directors will be present all night.
This is a great opportunity for students to get to know each other better within their choir and across the other choirs.
Students participating in the football game can come after half time in most cases.
We want 100% of choir student participation in this event!
6. Follies – Performances September 26 & 27 with rehearsals September 23 & 24 – All four days are required for students.
Our early fall concert will have the theme of “Dancing in the Streets” this year, performing music from both Doo-Wop and Motown genres. All choirs are performing at this concert. We will have auditions for solos and small groups on Tuesday and Thursday, September 10 & 12 during lunch, before school and after school. Think about appropriate songs to use, get well prepared and get signed up.
7. Anderson Choir Concerts – These are required co-curricular events. All choir students must participate.
These are graded performances as they are part of our curriculum. Our Follies and Winter Concerts also have required rehearsals.
This year’s concerts are:
- September 26 & 27 – Follies Concert (rehearsals Sept. 23 & 24)
- December 10 – Winter Concert (rehearsal Dec. 9)
- February 27 – Pre U.I.L. Clinic/Concert
- March 25 & 26 – U.I.L. Concert & Sight Reading Contest
- May 19 – Spring Concert/Senior Celebration
8. All-State auditions – 1st round is Oct. 19th at Hendrickson High School
Students can sign up, pay their $20 entry fee, and get music and recordings immediately or at Everything Night. Don’t wait and try to cram. We want you to be successful in this process. Also see the attached FAQ sheet for details of what this is.
9. SWACDA – Southwest American Choral Director’s Association Convention Honor Choir - March 19th - 22nd, Little Rock, AR
If students are interested in auditioning for this honor choir, they should talk with Mr. B. ASAP to receive details. Also see the attached FAQ sheet.
10. Private Voice Lessons – we have teachers available for one-on-one lessons.
The private teachers are available during choir classes as well as before or after school to work with our students. This allows the student and family to make it work in their schedule. Lessons can really help students accelerate their vocal development as well as give specific attention to an individual’s music learning needs and voice concerns. Most of our students who excel at the individual competitions take private lessons. If you’re interested in taking voice lessons, sign up now or at EVERYTHING NIGHT!
11. Choir Trip – New York City – March 7th-11th
Register online if interested. You can view the itinerary and cost. Deposits of $100 are due by September 12! All payments will be made through the website below. Parents are welcome to come as well. We do need some chaperones. Please use your real name (no nicknames etc.) since plane reservations will be made and require the name on your ID for obtaining boarding passes and TSA screening.
Login ID: anderson14
Regular Password: nyctrip14
12. Get Connected!
Website – www.ahschoir.com Calendar, music, pictures, forms, general info, links etc. available in one place.
Edlio Choir Page: www.andersononline.org Subscribe to your choir period through the school’s website.
Facebook – Anderson Choir 2013-2014 – student officer run page
Remind101 – this is a FREE ONE WAY texting service we are using this year to stay in touch with students & parents. We will use this to remind students of various things throughout the year.
Instagram - #Andersonchoir - see fun pics throughout the year!
13. Get Involved!
Sign up at EVERYTHING NIGHT to volunteer to help the Anderson Choir program. Most ‘jobs’ require only a small time commitment, but are so important in making the students have a high quality experience for our students. Please step up and volunteer!
14. Confused? about some of the events our choir or individual choir members participate in? Read the attached FAQ sheet to get some answers.
Office phone – 414-7926